It is often difficult to get around by car when you live with reduced mobility, and parking can cause an additional headache! The parking permit for persons with a mobility impairment facilitates parking closer to the entrance of your destination and allows parking in wider reserved spaces, whether as driver or passenger.
How Can I Get a Permit?
In Quebec, the permit is issued by the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ) for both residents and non-residents. According to SAAQ rules, a person can apply for a disabled parking permit if they have a disability resulting in a loss of independence or a risk to their health and safety when travelling short distances without a vehicle.
What Are the Eligibility Criteria?
A disabled person must meet three conditions to obtain the parking permit:
- Live with a mobility impairment that causes a loss of autonomy, or risks compromising health and safety when traveling a short distance that does not require the use of a vehicle.
- Complete the application for a parking permit for persons with disability: you can fill out the form here.
- Provide, if necessary, a medical assessment demonstrating a disability lasting at least 6 months.
Under What Circumstances Is the Medical Assessment Required?
A medical assessment is not required if:
- The disabled person uses a wheelchair or an adapted walker subsidized by the RAMQ and provides proof;
- Or the person holds a driver’s license with condition P.
Otherwise, an assessment is required. This assessment must be completed by the health professional best able to describe the disability situation related to travel:
- Special educator of the health and social services network
- Occupational therapist
Assessment fees are the responsibility of the applicant and are not reimbursed. In addition, you must bring the application form with you when meeting with the health professional since he or she must fill in two sections (Sections C and D). The SAAQ may request additional evaluations if necessary.
How Much Does the Permit Cost?
The costs involved with obtaining a permit are twofold:
- SAAQ: Issuance, Renewal, Replacement (including Attestation Certificate): $ 17.40 and Certificate Replacement: $ 4.70.
- Assessment (if needed): May be free or involve a fee depending on your situation.